Dr. Harold T. Rose, who operated the Darien Animal Hospital, saw an opportunity
for a new veterinary hospital in Greenwich. He knew that the town was
growing rapidly, with many animal lovers, who would need medical care for their
pets. After purchasing property on the southwest corner at the Post Road
and Salem Street in Greenwich, Rose began construction of the Blue Cross Animal
Hospital in the fall off 1952.
Of vaguely neoclassical design and modern masonry with a
brick facade, the building was completed in the spring of 1953. Its
neighbors were an empty lot to the east and the long-forgotten Howard Johnson's
restaurant to the west. With an eye to opening the practice on July 1,
1953. Rose hired John Robinson - a veteran of World War II infantry
in Europe and a recent graduate of the veterinary school at Cornell - to manage
the new facility. As planned, the building opened on schedule, practice
began and continues to this day.
In 1959, Robinson purchased the practice and real estate
from Rose. In 1961, Robinson hired his first assistant veterinarian
(who soon became a partner in the practice), Dr. Gordon C. Johnson. After
almost 26 years at Blue Cross Animal Hospital, Robinson sold the business in
January 1979 to Dr. Rick Mitwalli and retired from veterinary practice.
In 1980, Dr. Mitwalli hired Dr. Neil C. Wolff as an
associate. After many years of practicing veterinary medicine at Blue
Cross, Dr. Wolff acquired the business. Over the
years, other associates of Blue Cross Animal Hospital have included:
Dr. Ed Fleischli, Dr. Myles Leeds, Dr. Bill Agresta, Dr. Tom Downey, Dr.
Rick Esquivel, Dr. Howard Rothenberg, Dr. Janet Potash, Dr. Joan Kobalka
and Dr. Anna DiCicco.
After 34 years of practice at Blue Cross, Dr. Wolff
sold the practice to Dr. Maria Violi, a lifetime local resident and a
veterinarian of over 20 years. Today, Dr. Violi, Dr.
Faigle, Dr. DiCicco, Dr. Aberle and Dr. Triplett practice at Blue Cross.